Parallels VM Hangs During Resume After Transferring to New Location

With Parallels 15 on macOS Big Sur, I was having an issue resuming the VMs that I transferred to my new external hard drive. I found out that you are suppose to shut down the VM before you move them. Oops.

To resolve the issue, thankfully, was simple. After praying about it, I realized that the pvm file was a package. I then opened the package in Finder. I analyzed the files names and removed the ones that seemed like it stored "resume" state information. I then double-checked my hypothesis by comparing the directory contents to another VM that was shut down properly. I restarted Parallels and was then able to start the VMs that were causing a kernel panic and hanging during resume.

Steps:

  1. Context click the VM file in question (right-click)
  2. Click "Show Package Contents"
  3. Remove three files
    1. *.mem
      • like: {8164553e-0c7f-429e-89a3-2cb00a161604}.mem
    2. config.sav
    3. suspended.png
  4. Close the Finder window
  5. Restart the Parallels Control Center
  6. Launch the target VM
  7. Give thanks to the triune God of the Bible as it starts up from a cold boot!
I am grateful the Lord answered my prayer by giving me wisdom regarding the situation. I hope it helps someone else as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Python SUDS with Windows Authentication (SOAP)

Text Sherlock the OpenGrok alternative (Source Code Search Engine)

How to remove, update, or replace the WKWebView inputAccessoryView